Across Australia the training and authorisation of explosives users is becoming more regulated.
Blast Training International Pty Ltd (BTI) delivers BMI's on-site shotfirer training to National Competency Standards. These include the Surface Shotfiring and Underground Shotfiring - Metalliferous.
Our trainers each have over 20 years industry experience and this knowledge is distilled into our comprehensive training courses. All of our shotfirer training courses are registered with Department of Education and Training QLD (DET) and successful trainees receive a Statement of Attainment Shotfirer of Competency under RII Resources and Infrastructure Industry training. These qualifications are recognised across Australia.
An added benefit is our incorporation of model procedures into the training system. This initiative provides shotfirers with basic procedures and work instructions that may be developed into a robust, site specific system to manage explosives use.
Prior to attending a course trainees receive course manuals and study guides to help bring them up to speed. The standard shotfirer training course is conducted over five days and consists of theory and practical training and assessment. Trainees require access to a production blasting environment in order to gain the necessary experience and to complete the required self audits and risk assessments.
Shotfirer training consists of nineteen units each focusing on a core element of the drill and blast cycle. Whilst these are delivered and assessed as separate units they combine to form a logical and straightforward package. The four course 'streams' currently offered are:
- Surface production blasting in Metalliferous Mines. (Shotfirer and Support Shotfirer)
- Surface production blasting in Coal Mines
- Development blasting in Underground Metalliferous Mines.
- Long hole blasting in Underground Metalliferous Mines.
Registered Training Organisation
Blast Management International Pty Ltd is the training organisation (Provider #31459) registered under the Australian Quality Training Framework that manages shotfirer training delivered by BTI.
BTI also provides training for drill and blast engineers. These courses are tailored to specific types of operation and are suitable for persons involved in blast design and in the management and optimisation of blasting operations. Note Blasting Engineer courses do not come under the AQTF umbrella.
Online training is available at all times from Blast Training International at our e-learning portal. Current courses are:
- Shotfirer Refresher - required every five years for licensed shotfirers to maintain currency.
- RIIBLA205D Store Handle and Transport Explosives and RIIBLA201D Support Shotfirer which are the competencies required for persons wishing to work on blast crew. To access online training for drill and blast click on the link at the right.